Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Now that everyone has my e-mail invites...

So here is what is going on in our little world!

I don't even know what to write..lol..I have been wanting to tell everyone but sometimes the timing is not right and I wanted to wait until everything was official..

Some of you know already because we have seen each other etc etc..some of you might have heard through the grapevine so here it is out in writing.. I am currently working on becoming a gestational carrier (surrogate) for a couple! I am going to carry their child for them!

Ok close your mouthes now..LOL...so here is how it all began. When Cliff and I started to think about getting pregnant I hopped on the world wide web to do as much research as possible so we could have a better chance of success. While doing this I stumbled upon journals written by women trying to conceive or who were pregnant. There was a small section (one woman at the time) on surrogacy. I started to read this woman's journal and it was something that I really felt I wanted to do - to help a couple become a Mom and a Dad. Now obviously I did not even know if/ how easily I could conceive..well we all know how that worked out being 16 weeks pregnant on my wedding day!! So I decided that I would wait until I was finished having kids of my own first and then start looking into it.

About 3 months after Emma was born I contacted an agency and received all the info. Again I decided to wait until Emma was a little older and more independent. So this September I got in touch with the agency and said let's do it! I was sent some profiles of couples and there was one that I instantly took to and they just happened to live in the same province! She (the agency) sent my profile to them and they were very interested! We finally started contacting each other and hit it off instantly that we practically decided to work together almost right away! (It was practically November by this point!) We talk constantly and seem to have a great rapport with each other! A big issue for me was having a couple that were very easygoing and open to the possibility of continuing a relationship after the baby was born. They seem to be on the same wavelength which is great.

I went for some preliminary bloodwork in November and then in December I went to TO to have my screening done at the clinic there. I met with a pschologist and I think I must have passed with her or I would have heard something by now. So now here we be...in January. Tomorrow I may be having my first "treatment" in order to stop my system with an injection of Lupron but I will not know until tomorrow so check back and I will post tomorrow if I am going or not! It looks like they are aiming for a transfer in March I think!

So more about this stuff..NOOOO the baby is not mine. A gestational carrier/surrogate is simply that. I am carrying a child for a woman that (for what could be many different reasons) cannot carry a pregnancy to term.The baby will not be genetically linked to me at all.
Can I give the baby up?? YES! I know I don't want any more children of my own, yet I think every mother will agree with me..there is nothing more miraculous than having a life growing inside of you. I think no matter how many children I had of my own I would always have the yearning to be pregnant again. I had such easy conceptions, pregnancies and deliveries that it makes sense (at least to me) to use that to be able to help another couple realize their dream of being parents. I am not saying it won't be difficult, I am sure it will be an emotional time but I think it will more out of happiness for my intended parents (IP's for future reference) holding their baby in their arms.
Soooo.. that is my big news!! Whatta ya think??

No comments: