Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Where did April go??

Oh my god! I cannot believe it has been almost a month! Did that ever fly by! OK so let’s see. Mum visited at the beginning of April and although I was sick for a good part of her visit we had a good time. It had been far too long! We did not do too much. We visited Ross and Audrey (my uncle and aunt) as they are in the process of adopting a little baby. His name is Keziah ( I think) and he is a real cutie!! I will post pics later. We also went to the traditional cabane a sucre! (Sugar shack). We went to the Arthur Farm which is owned by Shirley’s uncle and cousins (I think). It is a place called Rockburn and the drive out there was beautiful! We took the Intended Parents with us and we all had a great time. The food was amazing! I sooo want their pancake recipe….we then stopped at the Rockburn Pub for wee drink. Cliff and the intended father played some darts and pool and the girls chatted. The rest of the week was pretty low key, just hanging with the kids etc. It was so nice to see how quickly the kids warmed up to her! Almost like they see her every day!

On Friday, April 15th we went for our first ultrasound. I was a day shy of 7 weeks. The intended parents came with me and we got bad news.. the Dr. could not find anything in my uterus!! We were all devastated and it was not looking good. The Dr. assumed because I had no pain that it was not ectopic. He did a blood test with the expectation that the results would be a very low # and they would take me off the hormones and would proceed to miscarry. Well… we got the results back and the # was almost 19,000!! I was still very much pregnant but nothing in the uterus..so up came the discussion of ectopic..at this point there was no other alternative. The Dr. had told me (before we got the blood test results) that if I had any inkling of cramping or pain to get to the ER pronto. At this point the plan was to do another beta on Monday. So the rest of Friday was a write off. I left work early. Sure enough at about 10:30 pm I had some cramping. Nothing major in a regular pregnancy but when they tell you there is nothing in your uterus you tend to PANIC! So I trotted off to the ER and spent all night waiting..waiting waiting. Finally at about 4:00am someone came in. All he would do is another beta and then repeat on Monday..GRRR.. I was not getting anywhere!

I went home and slept a few hours. I called the intended parents (who by the way were awesome and so supportive during all of this!!) and the IF decided to call the clinic again that we went to. He wanted to see if there was anything else we could do. They scheduled another u/s that morning and IF’s plan was to tell the Dr. that once confirmed there was nothing there that he wanted to have a shot of Methatrex(sp??) a cancer drug to kill the pregnancy. So he did all that when we got there but the Dr. said it was too early to discuss that and he would do another u/s and a blood test to see if the #’s were going down. So he begins the u/s and POOF! The baby was there heartbeat and all!! IF and I almost had a heart attack!! I had a big feeling the Dr. the day before was not in the right place(it was an internal ultrasound) but he was a fertility specialist..not exactly going to tell the dude how to do his job. Maybe I should have! So we went back to IP’s place to surprise IM with her 8mm fetus. She was shocked.

Then Monday happened..next post

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Then Monday happened... next post"??? WHat does THAT mean? Now I'm all confused and anxious!